Improved access to affordable health insurance through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will take effect in 2014. More than 27,000 uninsured Kitsap residents are expected to be eligible for public or subsidized health insurance.
WHEN CAN I ENROLL AND WHEN DOES IT START?
Enrollment begins 10/1/13 for coverage starting 1/1/14. Most people who do not sign up by 3/31/14 will pay a penalty to the federal government.
HOW DO I ENROLL?
• The Kitsap Public Health District and several community agency partners will have certified Assisters to help you sign up beginning 10/1/13.
• On your own or with an Assister, you can buy a health insurance plan online at www.wahealthplanfinder.org. When you sign up, you will be asked for your social security number, address, phone number, and estimated household income.
• To talk to an Assister, call the Health District at 360-337-5235 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or call the Washington Healthplanfinder Call Center at 1-855-WAFINDER (1-855-923-4633) or at TTY/TTD 1-855-627-9604 Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Washington residents can easily access the main Washington Health Benefit Exchange website at wahbexchange.org for information, or the Washington Healthplanfinder online marketplace at wahealthplanfinder.org to compare and enroll in health insurance plans.
Washington residents can also call the Washington Healthplanfinder Call Center Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at 1-855-WAFINDER (1-855-923-4633) or TTY/TTD 1-855-627-9604. Help is available in up to 175 different languages.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
Kitsap Public Health District:
• How to Get Health Insurance (August 2013)
• Como Obtener Seguro Médico (Agosto 2013)
• Steps for Enrolling in Health Insurance (available soon)
• The Uninsured in Kitsap County: Framing the "Affordable Care Act" Health Insurance Opportunity (revised August 2013)
Washington Health Benefits Exchange:
Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation: